THE INFLUENCE OF INTELLIGENCE QUOTIENT AND EMOTIONAL QUOTIENT ON THE TENTH GRADE STUDENTS’ ENGLISH ACHIEVEMENT OF STATE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL 6 OF PALEMBANG

Sri Hartati

Abstract


This study aimed for finding out whether or not (1) there is a significant influence of intelligence quotient on students’ English achievement; (2) there is a significant influence of emotional quotient on students’ English achievement; (3) there is a significant influence of intelligence quotient and emotional quotient on students’ English achievement. The population of this study consisted of 223 students of the tenth grade student of senior high school 6 of Palembang. The sample was selected by using simple random sampling. The data were collected by using documentation, questionnaire, and tests. The data were analyzed by using descriptive statistic and inferential statistic (correlation and regression analyses), F-test for multiple correlation and t-test for partial correlation, significant 95% (0.05) by SPSS version 15. The result showed that there was a low correlation of intelligence quotient on students’ English achievement (r=0.364); there was a low correlation of emotional quotient on students’ English achievement (r=0.368); there was an enough correlation of intelligence quotient and emotional quotient on students’ English achievement (r=0.468). The influence of intelligence quotient was 0.133 (13.3%) on students’ English achievement. The influence of emotional quotient was 0.136 (13.6%) on students’ English achievement. The influence of intelligence quotient and emotional quotient were 0.219 (21.9%) on students’ English achievement. The variability of students’ English achievement could be explained 21.9% by intelligence quotient and emotional quotient. The rest (78.1%) was determined by other factors.

 


Keywords


Influence; Intelligence Quotient; Emotional Quotient; and Students’ English Achievement

Full Text:

PDF

References


Arikunto, Suharismi. (2010). Prosedur Penelitian Suatu Pendekatan Praktek (Edisi Revisi 2010). Jakarta: PT. Rineka Cipta.

Azwar, Saifuddin. (1996). Pengantar Psikologi Inteligensi. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Belajar Offset.

Best, John W. and Khan, James V. (1993). Research in Education, Seventh Edition. USA: Allyn and Bacon.

Carusso, D, R. (1999). Applying the Ability Model of Emotional Intelligence to the World of Work. (Focus: online), (http://www.cjwolfe.com, accesed on June 20, 2013).

Goleman, Daniel. (2005). Working with Emotional Intelligence (Kecerdasan Emosi untuk Mencapai Prestasi). Jakarta: PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama.

Gordon, E. (2004). EQ dan Kesuksesan Kerja. (Focus: online), (http://www.epsikologi.com, accesed on March 12, 2013).

Hartati, Sri. (2010). The Influence of Intelligence Quotient on Students’ English Achievement at the Tenth Grade Students of the State Senior High School 6 of Palembang. Unpublised Undergraduated Thesis. Faculty of Teacher Training and Education. Universitas Muhammadiyah Palembang.

Hatch, Evelyn and Lazaraton, Anne. (1991). The Research Manual (Design and Statistics for Applied Linguistics). Los Angeles: Newbury House Publisher.

Mayer, John D. (2004). Is EL the Best Predictor of Success in Life, (Online, (http://www.unh.edu/emotionalintelligence/ei%20Contorversies/eicontroversy1%20predictor.htm, accessed on March 5, 2012)

Rachmi, Filia. (2010). “Pengaruh Kecerdasan Emosional, Kecerdasan Spiritual, dan Perilaku Belajar terhadap Tingkat Pemahaman Akuntansi”. Unpublished Undergraduated Thesis.

Semarang: Faculty of Economy, Diponegoro University.

Sekaran, Uma. (2000). Research Methods for Business. USA: John Wileys & Sons.

Sugiyono. (2012). Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif, Kualitatif dan R & D. Bandung: Alfabeta.

Surip, Rosdiana. (1994). The Relationship between the Intelligence and English Achievement of the Third Year Students of SMA Negeri 7 Palembang. Unpublished Undergraduated Thesis. Faculty of Teacher Training and Education, Sriwijaya University, Indralaya.

Ristekdikti. (2016). Undang-Undang Republik Indonesia No. 20 Tahun 2003. Retrived from http://www.ristekdikti.go.id., accesed on July 03, 2018).




DOI: https://doi.org/10.32502/ecj.v2i2.1317

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2019 English Community Journal

The Departement of English Education, Faculty of Teacher Training and Education, Universitas Muhammadiyah Palembang

Jl. Jenderal A. Yani 13 Ulu, Seberang Ulu II, Palembang (30263), Indonesia.

Indexed by :

English Community Journal has been listed in :

 

Creative Commons License
English Community Journal by http://jurnal.um-palembang.ac.id/index.php/englishcommunity is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.